It's been three years since Ava has been home with us.
Three years since we touched down in LA and began our life together as a family.
Some parents like to celebrate the day they got through court or the day they took custody, but for us, those days bring back some very painful and anxiety filled memories.
After our first court approval, the decision was overturned and we were sent home without our child. And so when we passed court the second time, neither of us were jumping for joy. We were holding our breath until those 15 days were over.
And then, just moments after taking Ava into custody... after a year of fighting for her... we got word that a mother from the United States had returned her adopted son to Russia. Russia closed it's doors and their was talk to Kazakhstan following along. Our coordinator assured us that she was our child now and that they couldn't take her from us, but still, we held our breath.
We could finally exhale when those wheels touched down on US soil. Even in the air, I thought they might turn our plane around and take us back...truly I did.
We brought home a very delayed, under developed, neglected 4 year old. She only knew Russian. She only knew life as an orphan.
And now she is a beloved daughter, sister, granddaughter, niece, and friend. She shines and we thank God for her everyday.

What a beautiful post. I had forgotten that Ava came home so soon after Hannah (from Russa). I got Hannah home in Feb three years ago and it was just before her birthday and just before the woman sent her son back to Russia--I was so thankful.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it amazing how much they have grown over those three years and not just physically. We are blessed to have such beautiful girls!!