This week has been totally draining for Mama Bear! Ava started preschool on Wednesday which was huge for all of us!
Preschool has been good so far. Ava is in a class with 6 students, 1 head teacher and 3 aids along with other specialists that pull kids out for individual therapies throughout the week. I hear parents talking outside of school about different things that their children are involved in or services they are getting and I'm constantly wondering if Ava is missing out on something. This has been a big stresser this week which I know will subside. I just want the best for her and I want her to have every available opportunity to grow and learn. Of coarse I am only one person and she is only one kid...there are only so many hours in a day and having down time and play time are soooooooooooo important to us both.
My little Ava bug going to her first day of school.
On Friday morning we had a play date with an amazing little girl who was also adopted from Kazakhstan and who also has Cerebral Palsy. She is such a little ray of sunshine just like Ava and I know they will be friends for a long time. What a blessing!!! Another awesome thing about Phoebe and her family is that they attend the same church as we do. So cool! This play date again got me thinking about adoption and about my passion to see orphaned children find a families. I have always had a passion for adoption...no question...but being an advocate and support for special needs adoption has been more and more on my heart. How can it not be when I have this amazing child who has grown leaps and bounds beyond what anyone predicted. I can still hear the doctor in Kazakhstan telling us, "she will never walk." What a life she will have now, and all because she has parents! So, this was not so much a stresser as it was something that was heavy on my heart and weighing on my mind. I am praying about how God wants to use our family and our story to impact orphans around the world but I keep hearing him say, "Right now is your time to be home with Ava." I realize that this is a unique season of my life. In a few years she will be fully acclimated and off in school full time and I will more time and energy to invest in other things but for now...it's all about her and James.
Sweet Little Phoebe and Ava
So, I am praying through and waiting on what God has planned for us but that's not always easy to do. I am remembering that he is in control and that he has every day of Ava's life planned. I am remembering that his plans for us are good. I am remembering that God made Ava perfectly, just as he wanted her to be. I am remembering that nothing is too hard for him and nothing surprises him. Ahh, isn't it nice to be reminded.
Ava was so excited that she had on a long fancy necklace just like Mommy! This is us at church.
Well, I promise this blog was not intended to sound like my diary. Coming soon will be light post about potting training and art projects I promise!
Here's a light note...Ava is sooooooooooooooo stinkin cute. I am obsessed with her in fact. She washed Daddy's car last weekend in her princess night gown and crown. The girl's love for Disney Princesses warms my heart!




Love you sweetie! I am proud of you. You are a good mommy!
ReplyDeleteJust a thought I had (before I had Ryan I was working in Special Ed)...if you really feel like Ava needs/deserves more therapy in school, do not be afraid to fight for her! As her parents, you know her best and know what she needs! Just from reading the blog and looking at your pictures, I can tell Ava has made huge improvements since joining her family! As for potty training...good luck! It is so wonderful to have your child potty trained and not deal with diapers anymore!
ReplyDeleteThis made me cry! She is perfect! And she got such perfect parents! I feel like I know and love her just by looking at her pictures! She is so special!
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful mommy Kari. It's so clear how much you love your family and how far Ava has come has EVERYTHING to do with the love that you and her Daddy have for God, for each other, and for her. And I feel we have parralel lives sometimes....our passion for fashion (but you can sew and I can't), our fascination and admiration as our girls fall for Disney Princesses, and such joy watching them live their lives in America with such love. I am sure I sound hokey, but I loved this post and you will love you take the time to blog. It's hard to keep it up, but i am glad I do it for Leeza to back and read so she can see how much her mommy and daddy and siblings loved her.
ReplyDeleteDid you see my cinderella pics on facebook? We had a Princess day on friday and went to the disney store...and she wore her cinderella dress (and light up heels and headband/tiara) to pick up her daddy, grandpa, and Sean from the aiport (they went for a wedding) SO CUTE! :)