Sunday, September 5, 2010

Thoughts...

Ava goes back to preschool on Wednesday and life is about to pick up!  She will go 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day.  I must admit that I'm looking forward to this time so that I can get things done, uninterrupted.  To me, September is almost the same as January, in that it's the beginning of a something new.  It's a chance for a fresh start and so I myself am doing some reflecting and making some goals for myself and for our family.
Thoughts on Motherhood in General:
It's all the time, it's 24/7.  Even in those rare moments when she is being watched by someone other than James or me, I am thinking of her, worrying about her, worrying about the person watching her, missing her, loving her.  I am used to being very on time and punctual which has completely gone out the window.  I've had to let go and realize that it's ok to be late and it's ok to say no sometimes.  Ava comes first...always.

 

Thoughts on Motherhood as an adoptive parent:
Ava couldn't be more MINE!!  She is every bit our daughter in every sense of every word.  Adoption is so beautiful and it's something that my heart beats for more and more all the time.  I often think of what if?  What if we had gone with another agency, another region, another country?  And the most frightening of all...What if we had never mad the decision to adopt at all?  What would have become of her life, and ours.  God knew every detail that needed to fall into place in order to lead us to Ava and we are so grateful for His wisdom and intervention!  I am also so thankful for the strong Kaz family community that we've found via Facebook.  I just love following the lives of other families who are similar to ours.

 Ava in Kazakhstan colors in honor of Constitution Day.  Very much an American girl but not going to forget where she came from!

Thoughts as a Mother of a child with special needs:
It's a lot of work, but it's part of the job as Ava's mother and it's a job I love.  There is therapy twice a week, stretching exercises that we do every day for her legs, and for her mouth.  Eating and drinking are messy and require lots of prep and clean up.  Speech has still not come so we are learning and teaching some sign language and figuring out how to communicate.  I LOVE her therapists!!! Before I arrived home therapy was something I was somewhat dreading.  The people there who work with Ava and all those other precious children with special needs, are patient and truly CARE about her and her progress.  Therapy is not only for Ava but for me.  I feel refreshed and empowered and encouraged every time I walk out the door.  Yes it breaks my heart on those days when she is unhappy to go to "work" or when she can't climb like the other kids at the park, but she doesn't lack confidence and she never stops trying.  That is something that her therapist can't teach her and can't give her.  That is HER and we are so thankful for her determination.


Ok, now for some current pics of life as we know it...

Happy Birthday Month Ava.  Big 5!

One of my goals is to take more time for my passion for crafting and creating.  My very talented Dad took these pictures of Ava for her birthday party and I was in charge of styling the little Miss.   

Just too cute.  What Mother of a little girl doesn't dream and wait for the day when the dolls come out for a tea party.

With all the Ava talk, I forgot to mention the very most important thing!  I have an amazing husband and he helps, supports, loves, and encourages every day.  Couldn't do it without you James!

Happy New 2010-2011 School Year Everyone! 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Kari! and, I would have never known Ava has special needs because although we've never met (hopefully one day we can change that), just the way she appears in photo's you can see her spirit and determination. Plus, you remind me a lot of myself in that you will do anything for your precious lil girl.
    i can't believe she's 5!
    her hair is beautiful, it's growing so nice! I love her flower bows. :)
    and, funny enough, Word World is now one of Leeza's new favorite shoes, and we got Sweet Pea Beauty (Veggie tales) for her birthday...what a DARLING movie. I highly recommend it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taught my students about "people we admire". You were my example. I even teared up in class and I think my students saw how much love I have for you. Your strength and your faith are so encouraging. Not just anyone could have taken on a child with special needs and you have seemed to have done it without thinking twice. I know it was a difficult decision for you but you knew Ava was yours from the start and you never looked back once you decided that. You and James are so awesome and I am so happy I am a part of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe she is 5 already...she looks so young in the pictures from when you first met her! She looks so grown up already! Happy Birthday to a beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete