Friday, June 16, 2017

Summer School...Psalms

We try to school year-round, but by summer we are always ready to take a break from the same things we do every day.

I try to create my own summer curriculum based on a theme I think everyone will enjoy.  
We've done insects, sea animals, and US history in summers past.
This year I was going back and forth between music and poetry.  
And then a theme came to me that would allow us to look at both!

The book of Psalms it is!

One of my very favorite books of the Bible. 
So full of beautiful language.
Worshipful!
Encouraging!

During week one we looked at Psalm 23 and used it for learning in multiple subjects.
Meditating and talking about this verse was such a blessing to my heart!  

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul."


We always illustrate after we read!


Doable for all ages.  I love that Judson's Shepherd is holding his sheep. 



For math this week, J practiced simple addition, and T practiced number recognition, by gluing cotton balls onto sheep!  


They also sorted through animal cards and categorized them into either Zoo or Farm animal.


Copy work for my big girl!

And we also made connections  between this beautiful piece of scripture and a hymn we love to sing at church!

"The King of love my shepherd is,
Whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am his
And he is mine forever"

Music, History, Bible, Math, Art, Penmanship...checks all around!  

We are looking forward to our study through the Psalms this summer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment