When people meet our Ava for the first time, there are lots of things that they might notice.
First, I hope they notice her beautiful smile, her joy and her love for life.
People usually notice the brace and notice that she communicates non-verbally.
Rarely do people notice, really notice, how little use Ava has of her right hand.
And it is the source of most of her frustrations concerning her disability.
I saw this once on Facebook...

It made me sad.
If only people really knew how difficult, even the simplest of tasks are with one hand, it would not be made into a funny e-card.
(And I do know that I'm hyper-sensitive.)
At 9 years old, Ava cannot dress herself, bathe herself, or buckle herself in the car.
Trying to teach Ava how to be independent is difficult.
It's hard for her and it's hard for us.
I woke up today and got all our things ready for school.
I assisted Ava in getting ready but pushed her towards independence more than usual.
Some days she craves it and some days she resists.
Some days it works and some days it doesn't.
This particular morning she was excited to do things on her own.
She wanted to dress herself and picked a pair of jeans...
with a BUTTON.
There were lots of tears and lots of frustration.
She didn't want help because, in her mind, she knew just what needed to be done.
But her body wouldn't do it.
Her hand wouldn't listen.
Usually, when we give these things time, and when God supernaturally gives all of us patience to endure, we get through and we help Ava make steps towards independence.
Today was another success story!
She did it!
And then she did it over and over again.
She laughed and smiled and hugged and kissed.
So, our school lessons looked a little different due to a 2 hour O.T. session on buttoning jeans.
But I'd say the lesson we learned was much more important anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment