Saturday, January 10, 2015

Engaging with books!

I had a pretty good list of things that I would and would not do as a homeschool Mom.

I most definitely wanted set curriculum for every subject. 
I wanted worksheets and I wanted tests and I wanted proof on paper that learning had taken place.

What I was getting from many of those worksheets was the opposite.
It didn't take long for me to see how many different, effective ways of teaching there are when doing school at home.
Ahh, the freedom.    
Reading is Ava's passion and so a lot of our language arts stems from literature that we read together.

"Never let a good book be closed or put back on the shelf without encouraging your children to engage with it in some way, large or small." ~Educating the Wholehearted Child

And so we color, we journal, we describe, we act out, we watch the movie (FUN!), 
We engage.  
And true TRUE learning takes place.


 My Mom discovered these books, Classic Starts.
We just love them.
They are classic stories retold for younger readers. 
They also come with an audio recording. 
 Very well done.  I would highly recommend them.



Her love for books and learning is already starting to rub off on her younger brothers. 
I think they must see her joy in it.
And that's what I want for all of them to know.
That learning is life... and life is learning... and it is FUN!   



No comments:

Post a Comment